Colours/Colors - April 2017 - Brainstorming

This Months Challenge has been posed by Nita, quote “Say it with colors would be fun".

A song where the color is important for some reason. Like Lady in black (Uriah Heep) or Purple Rain.
Tom Veitch

Colours/Colors - April 2017 - Brainstorming

Postby Tom Veitch » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:09 pm

Hi,

This Months Challenge has been posed by Nita, and I quote:-

“ Say it with colors would be fun.

A song where the color is important for some reason. Like Lady in black (Uriah Heep) or Purple Rain .

When I pointed out the differing spellings she suggested I was guilty of Brit Ortodoxy. :D

Well I doff my bowler hat to that lady,

Good Luck,

Tom

Nita Nevara

Re: Colours/Colors - April 2017

Postby Nita Nevara » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:36 pm

Those were the examples I could think of at the moment (probably because I'd heard them both in my MP3 player earlier in the day, TBH...): had I known they'd go public, I would have looked for more pertinent. :oops:

Slight correction: I didn't mention British orthodoxy for suggesting spellings, but because of the way of phrasing it. Not developing further, but I want to precise that before coming across as an orthodox myself :P

Anne Elder

Re: Colours/Colors - April 2017 - Brainstorming

Postby Anne Elder » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:23 pm

Love colors :) :mrgreen: Especially now in spring, everything is bursting with fresh clear colors including the sky.

Might do a German song :) And I promise to start early this time...

CaliaMoko

Postby CaliaMoko » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:39 pm

Oooo, another challenge. I'll try, but I have so many songs going at the moment. I like the "colors" theme, though, so I'm going to set my subconscious working on ideas while I finish something else. :D

By the way, not having been spending time in this forum until recently, I don't know all the procedures. Do we vote on entries in challenges, or anything like that? Or is it simply a challenge to see how many people can come up with songs? I'm guessing the latter, since there aren't many participating at the moment....

Vicki

Tom Veitch

Postby Tom Veitch » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:34 pm

Hi Vicki,

Personally I don't see this as either a race or a competition,..............against other people that is.

I see it as a personal challenge to do the best I can in the time available, to judge other peoples entries would only be fair if we had a higher number of participants/judges.

I think it is something we could consider in the future if participation in the board grows.

Tom

CaliaMoko

Postby CaliaMoko » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:50 pm

Hi Tom,

Thanks...I hadn't thought about it until today; the "colors" theme triggered my curiosity. I like the idea of monthly challenges for the purpose of stirring creativity. I haven't had a brainstorm yet, but I expect one any time now. :)

Vicki

Nita Nevara

Postby Nita Nevara » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:37 pm

I'm really not fond of the idea of PPP turning into a competitive board.
First because I'm not into competition in any form of art, second because there are other boards like this, third because on what criteria, honestly? Do we really want to attract competitors, and the climate it might generate?
If anything, I'd put the accent of reviewing songs - even marking the pertinent/useful reviews if we really need figures, whatever... It's not an easy exercise, especially when you review people you don't know well. It's always your two cents. But I believe it's a team effort to make, and I personally appreciate every single review - renewing all my thanks here btw ;)
I'd add to my pile today, but Anne's song has left me dry :mrgreen:

Challenges aren't bound to inspire everyone every time. Back when I was here a lot, I didn't do them all, especially when the title was imposed, it hampered me more than helped :oops: To me, some of them work as a trigger to think of something new. The moon challenge generated two or three (not sure yet about the third) possible projects besides the one I published. It adds to an already huge to do list but that's another topic ;)
For Say it with colors, I picked up something from my night travel aimless thinking and keep it cooking a bit. It should make a nice little story but I don't know exactly what it's about yet :D

CorieT

Postby CorieT » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:43 pm

Dear Nita -
Think of the Challenge as a challenge for yourself to write diversly, differently - not a competition! And have fun :D

Nita Nevara

Postby Nita Nevara » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:22 pm

CorieT wrote:Dear Nita -
Think of the Challenge as a challenge for yourself to write diversly, differently - not a competition! And have fun :D

Huh? What do you mean? :?:
I know it isn't a competition. I'm merely expressing the hope it stays this way...

Anne Elder

Postby Anne Elder » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:22 pm

We're such a diverse bunch of people around here (and I love the board for it :) ) IMHO, there's no objective way to compare the songs we write and vote for a particular one.

I think, we do the challenges to strengthen our songwriting muscles and we ask for comments to improve, every one of us in his/her own pace and style.

Return to “Colo(u)rs - April 1 to April 30”