Social media, websites, online marketing....

Online plattforms, Copyright, Song Contests, ...
MissGhislaineRegout

Social media, websites, online marketing....

Postby MissGhislaineRegout » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:44 pm

Hello everyone,

Currently, I´m working on a demo and I hope to promote it online somehow, using social media and/or other websites.
Does anyone have experience with this? If so, which websites do you use in order to promote your work? I currently
have my own website via Wordpress, and use Soundcloud, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. I'm going to use Youtube and Bandcamp
in the future too, when the demo is finished, and am considering Linkedin. Which sites does everyone else here use? Perhaps
we can help each other?

-Ghislaine

https://missghislaineregout.wordpress.com/

Dave Wardzala

Re: Social media, websites, online marketing....

Postby Dave Wardzala » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:21 am

What are you ultimately trying to accomplish? Are you trying to sell your song or sell your talent as a performer?

MissGhislaineRegout

Postby MissGhislaineRegout » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:41 am

The first option, so trying to sell my songs as a writer, not as a performer.

Dave Wardzala

Postby Dave Wardzala » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:14 pm

You probably won't find much success using the social media sites like Facebook, etc. You probably want to look at music publishing companies like SESAC, BMI, ASCAP, ect. You'll have to "pitch" (sales pitch) your songs to them. Note that these are all in the US. I see that you are in Europe and I am certain that there are equivalents (or those have European arms) in Europe.

Anne Elder

Postby Anne Elder » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:03 am

Hi Ghislaine,
I don't have any personal experiences either and it's also not something I'm looking for. My goal is rather to get good enough with my songs and performing to play for friends, do some open mics or maybe small local gigs.

I know however that there are other pages specialized on marketing music, one is called Taxi https://www.taxi.com, it's not for free however. Here's a post from the FAWM Facebook group where they talk about their experiences with Taxi https://www.facebook.com/groups/fawmers ... 043121093/

There are also quite a few people out there that want to teach musicians how to market their music. I get their advertising regularly from some newsletters I subscribed to. Not sure though if those classes only help the teachers ;) (they all want money for their classes) or their students as well. I'm a bit reluctant to post links to those teachers and can't say anything about quality of their teaching. If you're still interested I could post links.

Anne

MissGhislaineRegout

Postby MissGhislaineRegout » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:56 am

Thank you so much for the advice Dave and Anne! I'll check out the links ;). I must admit that, since I'm only just beginning to promote my work right now, I had no idea where to start. How did you learn about all those websites and publishing companies you recommended to me?

Dave Wardzala

Postby Dave Wardzala » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:40 am

I have read about a lot of these places on other forums that are music related. I have also seen adds for them in *gasp* print magazines.

Anne Elder

Postby Anne Elder » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:56 pm

Yes, same here, hanging around in online forums, the forums of the songwriting class were a lot more active before they changed the format but they guided me to FAWM and to the predecessor of this forum.

Then, there are often offers for free lectures or newsletters on songwriting, they sometimes also relate to marketing music. I rather need to be careful not to spend too much time with those things and spend more time with making music myself.

Return to “Marketing your Music”