Band in a Box

Recording, Mixing, DAWs, Mastering
Tom Veitch

Band in a Box

Postby Tom Veitch » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:58 pm

I know. I know, I KNOW!, it's not for real musicians but then I am not a real musician!

I have basic guitar skills but whilst I can just about handle a simple folk style melody when writing songs I often have a concept in my head which my skills cannot accomodate. I write rockers, power ballads, weepy country but they all tend to sound the same because of my instrumental limitations. I'm not on a personal flagellation thing here because I DO believe I have some sort of musical talents. :D

Yesterday I bought Band in a Box, the basic version and of course I am at the low end of a loooong learning curve. My brief "fingerpoke today was quite encouraging, OK I lose the freedom of changing tempo, missing or adding bars, or just fitting in or being more honest winging it, but I think I will gain a lot too.

Currently I write the lyrics, establish a rhythm, work out a melody and chord structure but I'm convinced that lyrics are the LEAST important part of a song. NOT my own view, I am personally obsessed with a message, moral, culural, political, humour, or otherwise. There are sooooo many examples of the na na na, obladi oblada, ya, la la, type or nonsensical lyrics allied to catchy tunes that have been VERY successful.

My personal goal is not to write a hit, however if lightning strikes :) I'm more concerned about getting my message, however dubious , out there. I think if I can make the music more attractive maybe someone may listen to my message?

Comment and even abuse on this wine driven diatribe appreciated,,

Tom

Tom Veitch

Re: Band in a Box

Postby Tom Veitch » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:27 pm

Reply to my own post isn't that a bit like talking to your self.

I had my first real play with BiB this afternoon and of course, although I have downloaded the manual, it remains unopened.

I decided to make my first project a traditional tune, firstly I know the tune, and I have the music. The song I used was "Red is the Rose" written in D major, 108 bpm, and 4/4/time. I settled for Open_E.STY filled in the chord sheet and got a fairly good backing. I then put some guitar solo from Realband on top and it sounded pretty good.

Saved and pasted into Reaper and recorded vocals on top, reasonably pleased, but of course I had no intro, break between verses etc. I tried cutting and pasting bits into Reaper but was not happy. I tried recording vocals on top in BiB but for some reason I can only get the vocal or the backing not both. I need to work that one out.

As a very last resort I opened the manual, and the programme is more powerful than I thought, it is possible to set up intro, middle eieht, outro and a selection of choruses which would be ideal for me. My strategy then, once I understand it all, would be to record the entire basic backing in one track which I could use in Reaper to record vocals. I could then add the lead instrumental riffs or whatever.

I still ahve not solved the recording problem but I'm pretty sure that like everything else around here it's my fault. :)

The programme also froze on me twice and I had to reboot to get out of it but again it's probably something that I did wrong.

Any comments or advice from more experienced or even smarter users greatly appreciated.

Overall I'm pleased, does this make me a Band in the BOXER?

Tom

Anne Elder

Postby Anne Elder » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:57 pm

Just a short remark Tom, there's also a user forum on the page which is quite helpful.

I just read there that "Chorus" in BiaB means playing a complete song once which seems to originate in Jazz... :shock: Just because you mentioned "chorus".

And yes, also program the complete song in BiaB incuding intro etc and export. No cutting and pasting in Reaper, unless you want to cut certain instruments in the verses (for the overall arrangement).

If you click on a bar, bar number changes color, meaning it has a littel bit different style (3 different possible) to make difference between chorus and verses.

Tom Veitch

Postby Tom Veitch » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:11 pm

Aha!

Thanks for the nomenclature lesson! I tried "chorus" functions yesterday and thought I was doing something wrong because it seemed to insert lots of bars!. I would never have guessed the alternative meaning of chorus!

Return to “Music Technology”